Did you know that the traditional cable TV industry is on the decline? After all, its annual rate of decline is at 2.5%. It might not seem that much, but it’s always important to remember that the industry is worth billions.
If you’re still on the fence whether you should get rid of cable, this post will give you the reasons you need to take the plunge. It’s important to make a more informed decision to ensure that you know what you’re getting yourself into.
Are you ready to learn how to get rid of cable TV? Read on below to discover more:
1. Cost SavingsIt’s surprising how easy it is to save some money by adjusting your packages. But if you’re not careful enough, the same bits and pieces can add faster than you expect. There are some cable or satellite plans that will start around $60 for the basic bundled channels.
You also need to rent a cable box, pay for an HD video card, and hand over some cash for all the other little features that come with the service. Without much difficulty, your monthly fee will exceed the $100 mark.
But if you use monthly streaming services like Netflix, you get a great set of options for less than $20. The best part is that these types of services aren’t based on contracts. That means you can always cancel when you don’t need it anymore.
2. Curated Content The best feature of these cable TV alternatives is their system’s ability to mold your content according to your taste. The more you use their service, the better they get when recommending shows based on your viewing habits. For example, if you watch movies on a certain genre, your service algorithms will realize that you like that particular category.
A lot of people note that their services’ suggestions are accurate. Most of the movies or shows recommended often get ignored otherwise. But the main point is that cable on-demand services won’t give that level of personalized experience.
3. Live Content Most people who hang on to their cable TV subscriptions do it due to the premium sports packages that come with it. After all, these services have the NFL Network and have all-day programming of people commentating about sports. But it’s important to remember that most in-market games are now available even if you use a $20 digital antenna service.
Also, times are changing since the ESPN, NBA Network, and other premium sports channels are making the transition. Before long, these live television channels will become available on other, cheaper platforms. This will help you view all your favorite series in real time without paying a lot more.
4. Service QualityIf you’re subscribed to a cable TV service long enough, you’ll realize that it’s often plagued with service and equipment problems. It’s often not an isolated incident, affecting several neighborhoods with either a cable signal issue or a cable box problem. Other times, you might not even know why the service goes down.
Calling the cable company to get more channels can descend into an argument or long-winded conversation. Some people, especially the elderly, don’t even understand the basics of email let alone how cable companies charge them for the channels and services they subscribe for.
Regardless of the problem, it will still take a lot of time before these cable companies deal with their issues. It’s tiring when you always need to call customer service or reset your cable box.
5. Better Alternatives With faster internet and better satellite signals, you can now watch your favorite shows over the internet or satellite TV. More often than not, the shows and movies you want to watch are available the next day. If you play it using your internet service or satellite TV, you can watch them like HD-quality videos.
With most services, you can make easy subscriptions to specific shows. That means you’ll see new episodes as soon as they’re available. This still applies even when you’re using an indoor TV antenna.
6. Major Channel Availability Cable services are so commonplace that it’s hard to realize that you can watch major channels for free without it. After all, stations like ABC, NBC, CBS, and a handful of other channels stream in HD even when using direct cable signal.
You don’t get the benefits of using a built-in DVR. But always remember that it isn’t that difficult to make a recorder using computers. Some services will also offer playbacks of major channel shows for a small fee.
7. Better Watching Habits If you’re bored at home, you’ll most likely surf for channels and look for things to record on the DVR. It isn’t a productive practice since it’s a mindless form of TV watching. Cable TV makes it easier for you to watch only for the sake of watching and filling up your time.
You deserve better since you should watch TV for the sake of enjoyment. With the use of streaming services, you have the means of focusing on the shows you want to watch. That way, you’re in control of your viewing time while enjoying only the things you love.
8. Better Technology A lot of experts speculate that the introduction of 5G will give vast improvements in how entertainment takes form. With this technology, you might have 4-5 options for internet services instead of the usual 1-2 in this current era. With that, most companies will offer better streaming as their major selling point.
With streaming services, you can also watch your favorite shows while on the go. Your smartphone becomes a mobile television no matter where you are. With 5G, the coverage of these services will increase even more.
Get Rid of Cable Today!If you’re asking, “is cable worth it?” you can refer to this post and ask whether you still want to retain your cable service. If you think it’s time to get rid of cable, there are a lot of other alternatives there that can enhance your television experience.
Don't stop here! We have other great guides and tips and tricks for you to check out.
Do you want to learn how to write great product descriptions for your eCommerce website, for example? If so, read our guide here and learn from the experts.